Responsible Gambling is gambling for pleasure and entertainment whilst remaining fully aware of the risks, exercising control and maintaining balance with other aspects of life so as not to cause harm to yourself or others.
The aim of Responsible Gambling is to enable people to make informed decisions about their participation in gambling and, if harm has occurred, to provide access to gambling help services.
Things to remember about responsible gambling
- Enjoy winning but be aware that gambling is a game of chance and the outcome is not in your control.
- It’s important that you realise the potential impact of gambling whilst under the influence of problematic substances. Despite what you may think at the time, they won’t help you pick a winner.
- Control your gambling. Management of your finances, including awareness of your expenditure on gambling is an important factor of responsible gambling.
- Once you’ve lost a bet, move on. Chasing lost money is not a successful tactic.
- Gambling should be a part of your social life without dominating it. Responsible gambling is about ensuring gambling is a positive and enjoyable experience.